Thursday, February 08, 2007

Miracle on Ashbourne Park

Earlier this week I went out to our garage to get some ham out of our freezer to make pizza for lunch. Doesn't sound like a very interesting entry to the blog yet does it? Well when I opened the freezer a saw that most of the contents were defrosted. The strange thing was that the operation light was on and the motor was running. I came in to the house in a panic - (the freezer was full and my way of coping with the high grocery prices in the UK is to get good deals and stock-up). The first thing I did was a phone my friend Hilda to see if she had room in her deep freeze to store the things that were still frozen. No answer on the phone and our neighbour next door were away. I went to find the Argos catalogue(something like the Sears in Canada) to see if we could buy a new one - they would cost between 100-150 pounds ($250- $350 Canadian) I then decided to run to another neighbours to see if she might have room. I was disappointed when she said she didn't have room in her freezer but was amazed when she said she had a freezer they weren't using in the shed. It was a two year old Hotpoint upright! They had just redone their kitchen and hadn't sold this one. They are Christian people and were very pleased that they were able to be a part of God's provision for us. They said that it ours to use for the rest of the year. I was so relieved I started to cry - God does care about the small things. There are very few families in Northern Ireland that would have a deep freeze - the culture here is to make daily trip to the shops to purchase what they need for the day so the fact that they had a freezer was something but the fact that they had one that wasn't in use was a miracle. I was able to cook up the thawed food. I was exhausted at the end of the day - making blackberry jam, meat balls, 4 dozen cabbage rolls, cooked up pounds of hamburger and chicken. I had 2 large roaster chickens so I cooked one and took it over to our neighbours who had lent us the freezer and the other one to made for Hilda to take home for supper. Randy was laughing at me when I was on the phone - I said I was using a big roaster so I would put potatoes and vegetables around the chicken so her meal would be ready - I even said I had a fruit strudel baked for dessert. All is well that ends well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home