Wednesday, March 07, 2007

What I miss

A friend asked me the other day what I miss most from Canada. I couldn't think of anything then, except that I miss the kids. (I think I'm more of an Irish than a Canadian dad in that sense--Irish families are really close and I can't imagine anyone here wishing, as I've sometimes heard in Canada, that the kids would hurry up and leave home.)
Now I know, though, what I miss second-most: the Canadian system of heating. Because the heat only comes on at certain (pre-programmed) times of the day--unless the oil-fired boiler goes all the time, which would take an incredible amount of fuel--the temperature inside fluctuates and, because insulation is not taken nearly as seriously as in Canada, heat dissipates really quickly. By Easter, though, we'll be into warmer temperatures outside.
Of course, I've also missed a Saskatchewan winter. I wonder how I'll face one of those again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home